Sunday 19 April 2015

Career Talk - Have I reached my peak then?


Emily Maitlis, Yvette Cooper and Karren Brady

The Daily Telegraph posted a really interesting article recently which suggests that women's careers could be over at 45?  Read more here

I only started my new career last year and it worries me to think that I am on limited time.  I love my job and feel like I have a long way to go with it.  I want to climb the ladder, make new connections, inspire lots of people and generally have the opportunity to make a positive impact.  Do I need to worry that I only have 3 years in which to do this? 

Many women take career breaks to raise families and I know lots of people who are not able to commit to work in a career-defining way until the children are older.  The freedom to work often starts when a woman is in her forties - why do we have to be limited so quickly?

The Lean In Movement has done much to encourage mothers to overcome the self-imposed boundaries of motherhood and to pursue their chosen career.  We need a new movement that supports women to continue to grow in their careers for however long they choose and without limitations.  We need role models of all ages, mothers or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment